Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The first signs of life are the sweetest.

Here’s the first ultrasound from Dr. Mike Zanconato.






The wheels were built by ergottWheels with DT Swiss 240 hubs, Mavic Reflex CD rims, Sapim Laser Spokes (three cross), DT Swiss alloy nipples, and DT Swiss quick releases. The tires are French, handmade, FMB’s. Everything that I’ve read about the FMB’s has been very positive and should be as good, if not better than the popular Dugast tire. This will be my first set and time ever riding on tubies. Today I feel like I’m six years old on Christmas Eve. :-)

When the frame pictures come in I’ll talk about the untimely death of the Independent Fabrication Planet X and the experience of working with Zank.

4 comments:

Rick said...

I wanta touch em, donny!
Sooooo, what do those puppies weigh?
Does this mean they are going to get dirty this season?
;-)
xoxo

Donny Frey said...

From a voice mail from Mike, the birth weight is a little over 1450g for the wheel set which doesn't include the tires. There was a post that he had put on the RoadBikeReview cyclocross board were he talks about a wheel build just like mine that weighed in at 1470g.

Also I've been given explicit instructions from Dr. Zank that no riding or TOUCHING will be allowed on the wheel set. The only exception to those instructions is that of the client/doctor relationship. :-)

Gary Burkholder said...

Rick showed me the spare wheel set you gave him. Not nearly as sexy as what you've got on order, but I'm sure they'll be put to good use. They look more sturdy than the Ritchie set that Rick's been traveling with. Only 2 broken spokes so far, and he's riding me about my worn down rubber. I'll get 500 more miles on that front tire, I swear!

(Vittoria Diamante Pro Light @ 175 grams)

Ray Huang said...

YOu know-those wheels would look great on my Cross bike!! Looking forward to riding together when its 20 degrees out.